Caregivers can feel exhausted and overwhelmed when going through an illness-related crisis. Sometimes the effect of the crisis can linger after it is over.
Ways to reduce stress:
- Keep a list of contact numbers of people to call in an emergency
- Reassure yourself that the crisis will pass.
- If you are feeling very stressed during and after a crisis, talk to someone you trust or contact a helpline.
- Schedule a bit of time to relax and unwind after the crisis, even if you are very busy.
- Try to restore your usual routine as soon as possible.
- If some time after the crisis you can’t stop thinking about what happened, you feel distressed and unable to focus on everyday tasks, consider getting professional counseling.